Saturday, 26 October 2013
Impression on CSC104
After going through half a term of Computational Thinking, there are several features of the course that I discovered to be useful and interesting.
The two hour lecture sections by Danny is always worth going to as it helps students to think in a way similar to computer programmers. Danny gradually introduces the step-by-step process of writing a computer program starting with presenting interesting examples of the "Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwich" and the "Paper Folding Pattern". These exercises draws the interest of students and clearly describes the importance of algorithm. Without giving a detailed algorithm on how to make a peanut butter and jam sandwich, anyone who has never heard of the term before would not understand how to make one.
A programming language, Dr.Racket, was taught to us as an introductory language to computer programming. Through this program, Danny introduces us to several coding techniques such as defining a variable, defining a function, and various ways to alter an image. The basic concepts of this program is similar to other programming languages such as C, C++, Java, etc. With a basic principle in mind, I believe learning the other languages would be much easier.
Although I think the introductory materials of Dr.Racket was easy to understand, the recent materials have become more difficult. It involves codes related to changing the colours of an image or modifying an image with several colouring functions.
Regarding the Wikipedia assignment, I think it is an interesting topic. It enables us to interact with people around the world through the internet. By creating content on Wikipedia, we are responsible for the reliability of the article. However, I would like to understand how this assignment is related to the whole course as I find difficulty relating it to other contents of the course such as the Dr.Racket language.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment